The University of Mississippi – NPHC Membership Intake Policy – Fall 2020
Chapter Compliance Steps for Membership Intake
A full description of these guidelines as well as the necessary forms can be downloaded here.
Forms should be turned in via The Forum or in-person.
STEP 1: NOTICE OF MEMBERSHIP INTAKE
Chapters must submit a Notice of Membership Intake Intent Form
by Friday, September 8, 2020 at 5:00pm CST if your chapter plans to conduct membership intake for the designated semester. This form outlines the organization’s intention to acquire approval from the appropriate representative of your National Organization to conduct an informational meeting, rush, and/or conduct an intake process.
STEP 2: INTAKE MEETING WITH NPHC ADVISOR
- The Chapter President and New Member Educator MUST meet with the NPHC advisor for a 45-minute meeting to discuss the intake calendar and university policies. This meeting must occur TWO WEEKS before any intake activity can begin. To schedule an appointment, call (662) 915-7609 or email email@example.com.
- At this meeting, provide the following documents:
- Any National/Regional paperwork that needs to be signed by FLL staff
- Completed Notice of Membership Intake Form (Attached)
- Completed Anti-Hazing Policy Compliance Form (Attached)
- A copy of the Informational Flyer (emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or printed)
- New Member Education/Intake Calendar (Example Attached) – This schedule should be a detailed syllabus that includes name of activity, date, time, and location, of all intake activities – meetings, service events, study hours, new member presentation practices, initiation dates, etc.)
- At this meeting, provide the following documents:
STEP 3: NPHC ADVISOR WILL ATTEND THE INFORMATIONAL MEETING
- A representative from the Office of Fraternal Leadership and Learning MUST give a hazing presentation at your organization’s informational meeting. This will last no longer than 10 minutes. Interest/Informational meetings should occur by Friday, September 25, 2020.
STEP 4: VERIFICATION OF ASPIRANTS FORM
- Once the chapter has conducted interest meetings or rush and has received approval to conduct membership intake, then they must complete and submit the Verification of Aspirants Form. The Verification of Aspirants Form must list all potential new members who are participating in the process. This must be submitted to the NPHC Advisor or designated FLL staff member immediately following approval from your national organization.
- This form must be submitted within 3 business days of the membership selection process after the interest/informational meeting, and prior to the start date of the official process/education of aspirants listed on the chapter’s intake calendar.
STEP 5: NPHC ADVISOR WILL ATTEND THE FIRST OFFICIAL INTAKE MEETING/EDUCATIONAL SESSION WITH SELECTED CANDIDATES
- Upon the selection of potential candidates for membership, organizations must invite the NPHC Advisor to the FIRST official intake meeting/educational session with the selected candidates. At this meeting academic expectations and hazing policies will be discussed in detail. As well as discussion of the new member presentation guidelines.
STEP 6: NEW INITIATES FORM
- Members who have successfully completed the membership process. Due within 24 hours or by 5:00pm CDT the next business day after initiation.
STEP 7: NEW MEMBER PRESENTATION PLAN
- For chapters that will present new members with a formal presentation. Due within 10 business days of scheduled presentation date. The chapter is completely responsible for reservation of venue, security, and other logistical details as they apply to probates and new member presentations. In order to be in accordance with university policies and procedures, the chapter will need to submit a plan to Fraternal Leadership & Learning concerning how the new member presentation will be run.
This plan should include the following information:
|Information to be included in New Member Presentation Plan||Comments|
|Date of Presentation||This date should be included on your intake calendar. Date should be on or prior to November 22, 2020.|
|Venue||Reserve venue for Probate. This should be done as close to the start of the semester as possible. Space availability declines as we get further into the semester. Example options include: Jackson Avenue Center, Grove Stage|
|Register Event with the Student Union via the Forum||Complete the Forum Event Registration Form no less than one (1) month before the date of new member presentation.|
|Venue Set Up||The chapter will need to explain how all aspects of the venue needs will be taken care of (i.e. lighting, chairs, projector usage, trash pick, stage, DJ, etc.)|
|Time doors will open||The chapter is required to be at the venue 1 hour prior to the doors opening time. If different parties of people are being let in at different times, this needs to be stated in the plan (i.e. parents, prophytes, traveling Greeks, etc.)|
|Time event will start||Events that start more than 20 minutes after the designated start time will result in a $100 fine paid to NPHC and or the cancellation of the presentation.|
|Security||A request for security should be placed no later than two weeks before the new member presentation. Failure to do so will result in the presentation being cancelled. Contact UPD Police for security needs.|
|Clean Up||The chapter needs to submit a plan including who will be cleaning up venue after the presentation.|
|Miscellaneous Information||Please submit all other information in the plan that would be deemed beneficial for orchestrating a successful and efficient event.|
STEP 8: NEW MEMBER PRESENTATION PREVIEW WITH NPHC ADVISOR
- The NPHC Advisor and organization’s Chapter Advisor must preview the New Member Presentation at least one week in advance of scheduled presentation date to ensure all policies and guidelines are followed.
STEP 9: NEW MEMBER INITIATION DEADLINE – Sunday, November 15, 2020
- New Members should be initiated by the above date to support student’s academic success.
STEP 10: NEW MEMBER ACTIVITIES MUST CEASE – Sunday, November 22, 2020
- New Member Presentation should be initiated by the above date to support student’s academic success.
- The Office of Fraternal Leadership & Learning expects the line of communication to stay open for the duration of the Membership Intake Process. Should timelines change, it is an expectation that all changes are communicated with the NPHC Advisor or designated member of the FLL staff immediately.
- For clarification or questions contact the NPHC Advisor, Marcus Cole by phone at (662) 915-7609 or by email at email@example.com.